Adventure in Madagascar
PONANT invites you on a brand-new expedition cruise in the Indian Ocean to discover “the island continent” of Madagascar. From the Seychelles to Mauritius, set off for 16 days aboard Le Jacques-Cartier, between beaches, dives, encounters with local populations and the discovery of endemic fauna and flora in rarely visited places of stunning natural beauty.
From Victoria on the island of Mahé, you will first sail to La Digue, a veritable picture-postcard of the Seychelles: palm trees, granite rocks, white sand and crystal-clear waters.
Your ship will then set sail for the northern tip of Madagascar. You will be dazzled by the beauty of the deserted beaches and preserved coral reefs of the idyllic islets in the Nosy Hara, Nosy Komba and Nosy Tanikely marine parks, renowned for their fabulous underwater life.
In Majunga, you will explore Ankarafantsika National Park, home to numerous bird and lemur species.
After exploring the picturesque and sumptuous city of Belo sur Mer, Le Jacques-Cartier will then sail towards the wild expanses of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserves in the south-west of Madagascar. Near the mouth of the Onilahu River, Tulear enjoys an exceptional flora that will delight lovers of botany.
Along the immense beaches edged with dunes in Sarodrano, you will experience an exceptional encounter with one of the planet’s last “sea nomad” people, the Vezo. You will discover their fishing villages and ancestral maritime know-how.
Out at sea await turquoise waters, the magnificent coral reefs and the natural pools of Nosy Ve, an islet of white sand that shelters a large colony of red-tailed tropicbirds.
After calling at Pointe des Galets on La Réunion island, Le Jacques-Cartier will reach Port Louis in Mauritius, where this unforgettable cruise will draw to an end.
The encounters with the wildlife described above illustrate possible experiences only and cannot be guaranteed.
- Safari, Animals, and Wildlife
- Sun and Sand
About Le Jacques Cartier
Tastefully decorated, Le Jacques-Cartier reflects the universe so dear to PONANT, with its light tones and open-to-the-sea design providing soft light and luminosity at every instant of the day. Its ethnic chic ambiance pays homage to the destinations we visit.
Located below the waterline, the Blue Eye, the first ever multisensorial lounge, offers a unique experience: the opportunity to enjoy undersea views and the sounds of the marine world whilst sharing a glass together.
PONANT is the World Leader in Luxury Expeditions with ultra-modern, intimate ships, offering attentive service and well-designed itineraries that touch all corners of the globe. PONANT has been sailing the seas of the world for over 30 years. Every cruise is a blend of adventure, exploration, and discovery—all experienced in luxurious comfort, even in the heart of the most remote regions.
Each year PONANT offers more than 400 awe-inspiring cruises onboard its 12 luxury small ships, which are able to easily navigate small waterways and visit remote destinations not accessible by large cruise ships. From Zodiac® landings in Antarctica to hikes in the Arctic, from immersion in Japanese culture and revisiting classic Europe, to the natural beauty of the Seychelles, PONANT presents these destinations—over 450 ports on all seven continents—through a new lens.
PONANT’s ships are not only the most elegant and most comfortable small vessels in the world today, they are also the most eco-friendly.
Each of PONANT's Sisterships, Explorer series, and Polar Expedition Yacht, Le Commandant Charcot, are certified “Clean Ships” by Bureau Veritas, one of the world’s foremost stewards of ecologically sound travel. These state-of-the-art systems and processes ensure that we can:
- Cut carbon emissions by 40% with a silent electric propulsion system.
- Keep in a fixed location on the seas without need of an anchor with a sophisticated GPS and propulsion system, called Dynamic Positioning.
- Conserve, filter, treat, and recycle all water we use.
- Treat wastewater with advanced filtration systems.
- Sort, compact, and store all wastes aboard for recycling ashore.
- Use CFR and LED lighting throughout ships, which uses just 10% of the electrical power of older systems.
- Keep our distance from marine animals via advanced sonar that provides the bridge with rolling 3D views of the ocean floor, icebergs, and ice floes.
From the second you set foot onboard, as your senses ignite and your taste for adventure engages, the “PONANT Difference” is palpable: our expeditions focus outwards, to what is happening beyond the ship. Nature is our entertainer. Discovery is our purpose. While on expedition there is always a larger intention.
That is not to say your comfort aboard the ship is overlooked; quite the contrary. Each of our 12 small expedition ships features understated elegance on board, with French-inspired cuisine, fine wines, and chic design. We are proud to partner with Sothys, Veuve Clicquot, Ducasse Conseil to bring the highest-quality spa treatments, champagne, and culinary delights to you no matter where in the world we are anchored. The ships feature also fabrics by Pierre Frey, beauty products from Hermès, macarons by Ladurée, and tea from Palais des Thés, rounding out your luxury onboard experience.
PONANT’s legacy of over 30 years of excellence at sea is inspiring new alliances as well. PONANT is proud to partner with Smithsonian Journeys, the travel program of the Smithsonian Institution, to offer a collection of unique travel experiences focused on culture, history, and the natural world. Each of these special cruises features Smithsonian Journeys Experts onboard, the secret ingredient that can create unforgettable travel experiences. Look for the PONANT | Smithsonian Journeys logo for these curated itineraries that celebrate our instinct to explore.
PONANT offers to you chic cruising without the crowds: experience the comfort of a private cruise onboard vessels of an intimate size, exclusive to between 64 to 264 guests.
Each of our cruise ships has elegant and uncluttered interiors, delight in the fun and casual elegance onboard without the formalities. Crew members, all versed in elegant discretion, will see to it that you enjoy a welcome that will make your cruise a unique experience. You will savor an exquisite dining with French and international cuisine, with complimentary wines included at lunch and dinner.
During your cruise aboard one of our ships, discover exceptional sites and come closed to landscapes so often inaccessible to large ships. Enjoy also seminars with international experts, passionate about their subjects, giving a further dimension to the sights you see.
PONANT offers to you an alternative to many other traditional cruise lines: discover the world with French chic and elegance.
PONANT is the World Leader in Luxury Expeditions with ultra-modern, intimate ships, offering attentive service and well-designed itineraries that touch all corners of the globe. Every cruise is a blend of adventure, exploration, and discovery—all experienced in luxurious comfort, even in the heart of extreme landscapes.
Why cruise with PONANT?
• 12 luxury small ships, able to easily navigate small waterways and visit remote destinations not accessible by large cruise ships.
• Le Commandant Charcot, the world’s first luxury hybrid-electric polar exploration yacht, sails further into the polar regions (including the Geographic North Pole).
• The youngest expedition fleet afloat.
• The leader in luxury polar expeditions for over 20 years and cultural cruising for over 30 years.
• Over 400 awe-inspiring cruises, calling at over 450 ports on all seven continents.
• Experts on board our voyages of discovery and learning to enrich guests’ understanding of the destinations.
• An exclusive partnership with Smithsonian Journeys, the the travel program of the Smithsonian Institution.
• Understated elegance on board with French-inspired cuisine, fine wines, and chic design.
• Proud to partner with Sothys, Veuve Clicquot, and Ducasse Conseil. Ships feature fabrics by Pierre Frey, beauty products from Hermès, macarons by Ladurée, and tea from Palais des Thés.
• 100% of our staterooms have a sea view and 95% have a balcony (100% on the PONANT EXPLORERS).
• Attentive yet discreet service from an experienced, multilingual onboard staff and crew.
• Open bridge access (requires approval from Captain).
• “Clean Ship” certification for the fleet in recognition of their eco-friendly features.
• All-inclusive pricing with open bar, gratuities, port fees, and taxes (including Zodiac explorations/landings on expeditions).
• The world’s first underwater passenger lounge, the Blue Eye, featured exclusively on the PONANT EXPLORER ships.